Monday 23 May 2022

Mondegreens and More

 Misheard Lyrics
   A recent email from The New Yorker included cartoons related to song lyrics which have been heard incorrectly. You will find them in this article and two examples from it are provided below: "Commonly Misheard Song Lyrics," by Jana Rajan, The New Yorker, May 1, 2022.


Another, from a song that I like is, "I Can See Clearly Now Lorraine is Gone," which is really from the Johnny Nash tune, "I Can See Clearly Now the Rain is Gone." One more:

   I knew there was a word to describe misheard lyrics and even though I was well aware of it, I had forgotten it. The word is Mondegreen and it is a mondegreen. The originator of it thought she had heard the words "Lady Mondegreen" in a Scottish ballad, but the words are really "laid him on the green."
   At this point I will stop about Mondegreens since you likely know the word and your memory surely is better than mine. If you do forget it, you can always look it up here and I will provide some sources below. To ensure that you remember this post, I will attach a very funny video relating to misheard lyrics. 

And More

    This post is more about my bad memory than mondegreens. I recently read two other items which talked of "things" or "characteristics" for which words had been created to describe them. I knew both of the words, but could recall neither one.
   The first relates to those who have the good fortune to appear much younger than they are. Such a person is neanimorphic.  You will find it in a post I did about two years ago, where a fellow used the term in a "personal ad", for which you have to give him credit - see "Lonely in London, c. 1920." Clearly blogging as a "memory aid" is not working for me. 
    The second is a word that is used to describe someone who appears to be able to accomplish difficult things very easily and without effort. The word is sprezzatura and there is a good entry for it in Wikipedia.  I couldn't remember that word either, but I tracked it down in some notes I had. It was used, for obvious reason, in a review of a book about Christopher Hitchens - Hitch 22 - who exemplified, "the rehearsed spontaneity, studied carelessness, and well-practiced naturalness that underlies persuasive discourse."
   You likely have your own mondegreens and now know what they are called. You may be able to use that term when you next go to Karaoke Night at your pub, but it is best not to use the word "neanimorphic" if you spot a younger looking older woman. As for "sprezzatura," display it if you can, but don't attempt to say it.

Sources:
   For the origin of the word "mondegreen" see: "The Death of Lady Mondegreen," Sylvia Wright, Harper's, Nov. 1, 1954. There is a Wikipedia entry for the term.
   For other articles see: "Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy," Maria Konnikova, The New Yorker, Dec.10, 2014 and "Sweet Slips of the Ear: Mondegreens," by Pamela Licalzi O'Connell, New York Times, April 9, 1998.
   For examples from websites see "Am I Right." and KISSTHISGUY. 

The Bonus: Peter Kay
   Mr. Kay is an English comedian, singer and actor. I was not aware of him, although he broke the world record for the number who attended a stand-up comedy tour. There is a Wikipedia entry for him. 
   This is his very funny routine from YouTube. If the link gets rotten, just google "Peter Kay" and "misheard lyrics."
"Staple the Vicar"

No comments:

Post a Comment