Monday 23 May 2022

Biking About

 

   It is still the Victoria Day weekend and still cold, but I may go out for a bike ride. But, I may not. That is because, while sitting around inside doing nothing, I noticed the book jacket pictured above. I think you will admit, it is a rather good one, illustrating well the subjects covered. 

   How I happened upon this good cover, I don't recall. Honest! I do now have an e-bike and ride more than I used to, but I can't say I have noticed any issue with the seat. If there is any issue with the other issue, I would not know, given my advanced age. 

    I also do not know Mr. Bekman and this is not a plug for his book. I did see that it is available for a modest price and if you are having any seating problems it is readily available. Given the intellectual level of this blog, and that I offer only bespoke suggestions and references, here is one from an Ivy league source which I also just happened to happen upon. The title is: "Biking and Sex - Avoid the Vicious Cycle" and it is from the Harvard Medical School. You can read the entire report, but here are the "simple solutions" offered:

Don’t use a racing seat with a long narrow nose. Pick a wide seat, ideally with plenty of padding. Special gel-filled and shock-absorbing seats are even available.

Don’t tilt your seat upward, a position that increases pressure on the perineum.

Be sure your seat is at the correct height, so your legs aren’t completely extended at the bottom of your pedal stroke.

For extra protection, consider wearing padded biking pants.

Raise the handlebars so you are sitting more upright.

Shift your position and take breaks during long rides.

   Now that it is a bit warmer and I have offered a bit of useful advice, as well as mentioned the word "SEX", which will assist me in attracting more readers, I will go for a ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment