Wednesday 17 August 2016

Expurgations (1) Accident


Although it seems to me that there is an increase in crassness, there is also evidence of a growing sensitivity among us. As an index of such sensitivity one can use the number of pleas made for us to stop using words that are offensive and chart the disappearance of such words. I have noticed recently that many words are simply gone and some are about to go and I thought I should keep you on alert since they do not yet show up in a Dictionary of Archaic and Obsolete Words. Hence Expurgations, which will inform you of the activities of the Bowdlerizers.
By ‘offensive’ words you are probably thinking of ‘naughty’ ones, which used to comprise the largest category, or blasphemous ones which ranked pretty high or, now, any term that remotely relates to race or ethnicity - such as some that are found linked to the names of sports teams. I should add, by the way, that I will tread lightly about this subject, since up here in Canada we have “Hate Laws” and “Human Rights Tribunals” so any offensive word applied to a person is viewed rather harshly. For example, if in a heated moment I exhibited hate by calling you a “Twerp”, I would be sent to prison; if I called you a “Plump Twerp” I would be put to death since a hate crime of that magnitude is a the only one for which there is still a death penalty.
It seems fitting to begin with the letter A, so the soon-to-be-obsolete word-of-the week is ACCIDENT, particularly if used adjacent to “Automobile.”
I kind of expected this one since I have noticed on TV news that no matter how ‘accidental’ a catastrophic incident looks to me,  the focus of the reporter is always on finding out who the culprit was that caused it.
The fact that many are calling for the elimination of the term ‘automobile accidents’ was called to my attention by this article: “It’s No Accident: Advocates Want to Speak of Car ‘Crashes’ Instead,” by Matt Richtel, May 22, 2016, New York Times.
If most car crashes are caused by drunkenness, or texting or driver error or plain stupidity, then it’s not like “God made it happen.” The bureaucrats have become involved (generally not a good thing for language) and those in Nevada just suggested that the a-word be changed to ‘crash’ in such things as police reports. In New York city the Vision Zero Action Plan [?] states that “The City of New York must no longer regard traffic crashes as mere “accidents,” but rather as preventable incidents that can be systematically addressed.” While the Times has not figured out how it will address the problem, the Associated Press already has: “accident, crash – Generally acceptable for automobile and other collisions and wrecks. However, when negligence is claimed or proven, avoid accident, which can be read by some as a term exonerating the person responsible. In such cases, use crash, collision or other terms. See collide, collision.”
As you will see from the use of the word “negligence” above, lawyers are likely to be involved, and linguists, semanticists and philosophers needed. I will leave you here since I am simply alerting you, not attempting to explain to you. About many accidents, my position would not be a particularly sophisticated one and can be summarized in a phrase I would put in Latin, if I could:: S*** Happens.
By the way, there is a new book about the subject of words and it has a very clever title: Accidence Will Happen: The Non-Pedantic Guide to English Usage by Oliver Kamm.


No comments:

Post a Comment