Tuesday 30 April 2024

A Big Collection of Tiny Books

Very Little Books at Lilly Library

   I was tempted to call this "Tiny Tomes," but that would be an oxymoron. I learned recently that there are around 16,000 miniature books in this Library at Indiana University in Bloomington. As I have noted, I think of "Libraries As Cabinets of Curiosities" and like it when they contain such things as books. I am pleased that the Hoosiers are still bothering with them even if they are small ones. 
  I noticed this perhaps because I remembered I had written something about tiny books. It turns out that I did so, way back in 2019, but it took me a while to find it since the Dutch term for them - "Dwarsliggers" - is buried in a post with the title "Tsundoku." That I know such things amazes me, almost as much as I am amazed by the fact that I will soon forget again what those words mean.
  


   The books were collected by two women and you can learn more about them by reading, "Ladies of the Lilly: Collectors Elisabeth Ball and Ruth Adomeit." Learn even more by looking at this article by Indiana Public Media which includes a YouTube video (2 min.): "Lilly Library Home to 16,000 Miniature Books," by Grace Marocco, March 29, 2024. 

   If that is not enough to entice you to go to Indiana, remember that Indiana University is a major repository for material relating to "America's Most Loved Reporter", Ernie Pyle, about whom MM has additional information. If you need more encouragement and are more interested in buildings than books, visit Columbus, Indiana, "An Architectural Mecca.

A Very Big Library Donation at Davidson College
   I noticed this because a high school friend went to Davidson and I passed by there just recently. It is about thirty miles from Charlotte. I also noticed it because the total gift is $100 million and some of it will be used to keep and purchase actual books and periodicals. As I have complained, some libraries are getting rid of books to provide "Makerspaces" for students. I see that now that word is even found in Wikipedia - "Library Makerspace."   For more about Davidson see - "$25 Million Gift Names The George Lawrence Abernethy Library, Transforms Learning at Davidson College," Davidson College. 

A Small Bonus:
  Davidson is highly regarded. When my classmate enrolled in 1961, the school was all male and all white. Things have changed. You may know about it because Steph Curry attended and recently returned to get his degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment