Wednesday 18 January 2023

More Clever Mulcahys

 


   I have been slow to get back to blogging in this new year and will not offer my usual excuses. Instead, I will use the creative efforts of an old friend to serve as a catalyst for the many enlightening posts to follow. He sent me an email which refers to the entrepreneurial activities of some Mulcahys who are located farther south. Here it is:

A couple of things I have come across on Google have caused me to question whether you have diversified the Mulcahy portfolio. I came across a Mulcahy’s Pub and Concert Hall located in Wantagh, New York and wondered if you had branched out AND then when I saw that one of their featured events during 2022 was the return of the Micro Professional Wrestling Association. I figured it had to be you. 

Micro Wrestling

   I was tremendously flattered that he figured I was involved, but full credit should be given to that more enterprising branch of the family. Full credit should also be given to the little people for coming up with the term "Micro" which is much more suitable these days than "Midget." 

Whatever Happened to Dwarf Tossing?

  Although I may not be creative, I have the ability to copy and I thought briefly that perhaps opening a pub here in London which offered such activities would be an easy way to make a few dollars, even if they were only Canadian ones. If the folks in Pigeon Ford were sold on it, then the citizens of southern Ontario would likely buy in. But, then I remembered the fate of the Windsor bar where the tossing of dwarves was frowned upon. If you think back twenty years you may recall that our legislature became involved. (You think I jest, but see: "Dwarf Tossing", Bill 97, Dwarf Tossing Ban Act, 2003, Sandra Pupatello. 1.(1) "No person shall organize a dwarf tossing event or engage in dwarf tossing.") Some of the people who got paid to be tossed objected to the legislation, but tossing never really took off around here.  Although Micro Wrestling may be marginally more acceptable and better named, one doesn't need a market researcher to anticipate that such an event held now would yield more protestors than bar patrons and most of them would likely be tall. 


Mulcahy Merch

   I did learn that the Mulcahy pub in Long Island offers branded clothing and there is no reason why Mulcahy's Miscellany could not do the same. If enough of you get back to me with your size, colour preferences and credit card numbers a launch of MM apparel will follow. 

Sources:
   The Wikipedia entry for "Dwarf-tossing" is worth reading and even has a Canadian section. You will also learn about "dwarf bowling", which occurs when a dwarf is placed upon a skateboard and used as a bowling ball.
   For more on Ontario dwarf tossing in Windsor see: "Dwarf Toss at Leopard's Lounge Met With Online Outrage, Petition," CBC News, Jan. 29, 2016. "He walks away at the end of the night with a big smile on his face and jeans full of money," says the owner."



The Bonus: 
   Yet another branch of the Mulcahys operated a bar in Key West right on Duval Street. It no longer appears to be there. Years ago, two sisters (who used to be Mulcahys) and I spotted "Mulcahy's Bar" upon arrival one fine morning and saw their sign offering cheap Margaritas. We ordered three and the bar tender said, "I'll bring you six!" They were 2 for 1.  We didn't even have to mention our name.

1 comment:

  1. A Mulcahy went into a bar....
    Forget that branded apparel hustle. Mulcahy-branded booze is a natural.

    ReplyDelete