Tuesday 3 January 2023

Leftovers

 There are many subjects I never get around to subjecting to more scrutiny and the notes about them are voluminous. By the time I get through the notes, I have no time left for the subjects. Here are a few I will treat briefly, so that I can move on.

Secrets of Althorp: The Spencers


  If you paid more attention to MM you would be better prepared to watch this series which is playing on PBS. You are to be excused in this instance, if you did not read what I wrote since you may not have been drawn to the title, "Library Furniture." In it I told you about where in Toronto you could buy such things as an "Althorp Butterfly Accent Table" and I told you much more about Althorp. If you are still watching re-runs of Downton and want more English aristocratic stuff, then finally read my post or have a look at the series.


That photo will attract you I'm sure, and had I included it in my post about furniture, you would likely have read it. If you need more to be convinced to tune in to PBS, let me mention that the chap pictured above is the brother of Princess Diana (and, I don't follow these things, but he may be related somewhat to Meghan Markle.) Plus, Countess Karen Spencer is from Edmonton and she was formerly married to the Hollywood producer who produced Saving Private Ryan. What more do you need?

Free Falling



   You probably don't think about it, but if you fell from an airplane that was at an altitude over 30,000 feet, what would kill you first? That question was recently asked and the likely answer is not as important as knowing that some people have fallen from high in the sky and have survived. I told you about Juliane Koepcke who fell from a couple of miles up in the sky and landed in the Peruvian jungle and she lives on as Dr. Juliane Diller. (see: Juliane's Free Fall Into the Jungle.")
   Vesna Vulović was a flight attendant on plane that took off from Copenhagen after which a bomb went off and she fell over six miles into a village in Czechoslovakia and holds the Guinness World Record for the highest fall without a parachute. See the Wikipedia entry for Vesna Vulović. 
   And if you want to stall a bit longer before entering 2023, have a look at this:
List of Sole Survivors of Aviation Accidents and Incidents. There have been a bunch of them, ranging from 1929 to 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment