Sunday 18 April 2021

What's In The Mail?

   The news here in Ontario is not good. The Covid situation has worsened and we have been told to stay-at-home until May 20. That news, as reported by an English newspaper, seemed even worse when it appeared under this headline: "Ontario Gives Police Sweeping Powers as Covid Crisis Spirals Out of Control," (Leyland Cecco, The Guardian, April 16.) One learns that: Police in Ontario will now have the power to stop drivers or pedestrians and ask for their address and reason for being out. Residents could face fines of up to $C750 (US$600) for refusing to comply. Although I was inclined to think that such strict measures were likely necessary to reduce the transmission of the virus, I was unaware of the unintended consequences which will cause an increase in other bad things: “Blanket powers for police to stop vehicles like this bends our constitutional freedoms too far, and will cause a rash of racial profiling,” Michael Bryant of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association said in a statement.

   I am a member, I suppose, of a race not subject to the rash, but I will comply with the directives issued and stay on the property. Staying at home means I have lost many of the excuses I typically offer as explanations for my lack of blogging activity. In my defence, however, the pandemic means I don't have much to blog about, just as you don't have much to offer when your neighbours ask, "What's New?" The mail received, doesn't seem like a promising subject, but here goes. 

   If you didn't realize the mail could be exciting, you probably missed my two earlier posts about the surprising things that can be delivered to your door.  I began the year by discussing The Epoch Times, a conspiracy promoting publication that some of our fellow citizens don't want the Posties to deliver. Then in February, Druthers arrived and, among other things, we learned that vaccines should be avoided. 

   Recently we received, as I am sure you did,  a very timely, massive catalog offering "Great Courses" from the "World's Greatest Professors" which you can take right from the home you are now not allowed to leave. The list of things about which you can learn is a long one and you find them here: ShopGreatCourses.com.  And, if you act now, the courses are cheap. For example, Western Civilization -- The Way You Wish It Had Been Taught, cost $595 on a DVD, but you can stream it now for $25. (As an aside, I thought such a subject was now verboten, but maybe it is being taught the way we wish it had been and perhaps placed at the bottom, under all the other civilizations.)

   If you are thinking about enrolling during this pandemic down time, perhaps you should exercise due diligence.  I took a look for the professor offering the 'Western Civ" course and he does exist and has emeritus status from the respected university named. Although the catalog received was mailed from Niagara Falls, that is not unusual. The people at the headquarters in Chantilly, Virginia simply forgot  to tell them to change the spelling to 'catalogue'. The fact that the headquarters of the CIA is close by, means nothing, I'm sure. It is the case, however, that a little searching found a lot of customers who were not pleased with the products being offered. 

Hand -Written Solicitations For Your House

   Less substantial than the tabloid size course catalogue received, were two different hand-written notes, both of which were, I am sure, 'written' on machines.  Both badly wanted the house to which the notes had been delivered. Adelle and others offered cash and a closing that would happen quickly, perhaps even faster than the quick and problem-free closing offered by Adam & Kristyna who also said, "I don't really care about the condition of the building, as I'll be renovating it anyways." While it is nice to receive hand-written notes these days, the plural 'anyways' is problematic and I suggest due diligence again be exercised. If, however, Adelle or Adam do have the cash, I advise selling, since the real estate bubble is likely to burst before Covid is contained.



No comments:

Post a Comment