Thursday 5 January 2017

Reading: Why Bother?

    


I read a lot and always have, but I would not at all be described as ‘well read’. That would imply I have absorbed all those articles and books and can demonstrate it by telling you about them. I can’t, not even about things recently read. So, why do I bother to do it? Well, I will provide some reasons I found from my reading.
    I will do so because you may also have this problem and need a rationale for buying more magazines and books which you think you are sure to forget.

The Wraith of Memory

   This first piece is very good which is why I still have it six years after first reading it. I will provide enough excerpts to entice you, but not enough that I am indicted for copyright violations. Besides newspapers need our help so get a subscription.

From: James Collins, “The Plot Escapes Me,” The New York TImes, Sept. 19, 2010.
“Those were glorious days, the ones I spent reading “Perjury: The Hiss-Chambers Case,” by Allen Weinstein. It is a book that I, having long had an interest in domestic Communist intrigues, had been meaning to read for years — decades — and I vividly remember that moment a couple of summers ago when, on my way to visit friends in New Hampshire, I found a hardcover copy in good condition at a restaurant-cum-used-book-store.
For the next few days, all I wanted to do was read “Perjury.” I tried to be a good sport about kayaking and fishing and roasting wieners with the kids, but I was always desperate to get back to Alger and Whittaker. The house where I was staying had been built on the edge of a lake, and I distinctly remember looking up from the book and seeing the sun sparkle on the clear, rippling water, then returning to the polluted gloom of the Case.
I remember it all, but there’s just one thing: I remember nothing about the book’s actual contents….”
What was the point?
I have just realized something terrible about myself: I don’t remember the books I read. I chose “Perjury” as an example at random, and its neighbors on my bookshelf, Michael Chabon’s “Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay” (on the right) and Anka Muhlstein’s “Taste for Freedom: The Life of Astolphe de Custine” (on the left), could have served just as well. These are books I loved, but as with “Perjury,” all I associate with them is an atmosphere and a stray image or two, like memories of trips I took as a child.
Nor do I think I am the only one with this problem. Certainly, there are those who can read a book once and retain everything that was in it, but anecdotal evidence suggests that is not the case with most people. Anecdotal evidence suggests that most people cannot recall the title or author or even the existence of a book they read a month ago, much less its contents.
So we in the forgetful majority must, I think, confront the following question: Why read books if we can’t remember what’s in them?

    The author does answer that question by saying that we do also read for enjoyment and entertainment and not solely for the acquisition of knowledge. He then consults a neuroscientist who provides a another reason and that gets us to the wraith of memory.
“To help answer this question I called Maryanne Wolf, a professor of child development at Tufts University and the author of “Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain.” I described my “Perjury” problem — I was interested in the subject and engrossed in the book for days, but now remember nothing about it — and asked her if reading it had ultimately had any effect on me.
“I totally believe that you are a different person for having read that book,” Wolf replied. “I say that as a neuroscientist and an old literature major.”
She went on to describe how reading creates pathways in the brain, strengthening different mental processes. Then she talked about content.
“There is a difference,” she said, “between immediate recall of facts and an ability to recall a gestalt of knowledge. We can’t retrieve the specifics, but to adapt a phrase of William James’s, there is a wraith of memory. The information you get from a book is stored in networks. We have an extraordinary capacity for storage, and much more is there than you realize. It is in some way working on you even though you aren’t thinking about it.”
Did this mean that it hadn’t been a waste of time to read all those books, even if I seemingly couldn’t remember what was in them?
“It’s there,” Wolf said. “You are the sum of it all.”

The Shadow of Lost Knowledge

    The bolded part below indicates why there is value in reading while the rest shows that there is also a purpose in acquiring an education that goes beyond the merely vocational.

"At school you are engaged not so much in acquiring knowledge as in making mental efforts under criticism. A certain amount of knowledge you can indeed with average faculties acquire so as to retain; nor need you regret the hours you spent on much that is forgotten, for the shadow of lost knowledge at least protects you from many illusions. But you go to a great school not so much for knowledge as for arts and habits; for the habit of attention, for the art of expression, for the art of assuming at a moment's notice a new intellectual position, for the art of entering quickly into another person's thoughts, for the habit of submitting to censure and refutation, for the art of indicating assent or dissent in graduated terms, for the habit of regarding minute points of accuracy, for the art of working out what is possible in a given time, for taste, for discrimination, for mental courage, and for mental soberness.”

(From William Johnson (Cory) who was a master at Eton and the quotation can be found on the Eton site. For those of you who read my earlier post about the word ‘master’ - I bet it will continue to be used there.)

1 comment:

  1. I find the same experience with theatre. How is it, I wonder, that I can go to a play, a Shakespearean comedy for example, and enjoy it immensely. A day later I couldn't name the characters or even some of the actors whose performance I enjoyed. Maybe this was a play that I had even seen before. It probably was but I couldn't really be sure. So, why do I continue to pay good money to see plays that I know I am going to forget?? Simply because I enjoy the experince of the moment.

    On the other hand, I remember exactly everything I want to retain from the LCBO Food and Drink magazines or from travel brochures. I can even locate recipes or trips in these magazines from the pictures on the title page. Where is the wonderful recipe for spicy sweet potato wedges? Its in the Summer edition with the turquoise cover. I suspect my memory for fine detail is related to the degree of interest I have and my perception of how useful it will be to me in the future. What I find interesting is that I expend absolutely no extra energy or thought in the preservation of these memories. They stay with me almost gratuitously. I wish I had the same memory ability when I go to visit Jerry and I can't remember what is on the corner of Bruce Street so that I would know where to turn.

    ReplyDelete