Saturday 7 January 2017

GRAMMAR TIP


Graduated University or Graduated From University?

    
The first option seems odd to me, but I have noticed that it is now frequently used. Which is correct? I should not be offering grammatical advice so I will let others provide it. The answer is “Graduated from…”

     
“Don't Let This Small But Increasingly Popular Grammar Error Ruin Your Big Job Interview,” Daniel McMahon, Business Insider, Jan. 12, 2015.
“Graduated from. You don't graduate college. College graduates you. You graduate from college.”
“I hear "graduated college" a lot, even among well-educated people. Don't make the mistake and risk lowering a potential employer's opinion of you.”

“Can You "Graduate College"? (Grammar Lesson),” By: dmatriccino | September 14, 2010. writersdigest.com
“Q: I love the English language and hope to master it some day, but I need help with the word “graduate.” I hear people say (and see them write) “I graduated high school.” This doesn’t sound right to me. Would it be more appropriate to say “I graduated from high school”?–Brent M.
A: You can’t “graduate college” anymore than you can “go college” or “arrive college.” In this instance, the verb “to graduate” is acting as an intransitive verb, and intransitive verbs cannot take on an object.”

“The correct way to say it is that you graduated FROM college. Here's why: "To graduate" is a verb, and it can be both transitive and intransitive. Remember that a transitive verb takes an object and an intransitive verb doesn't.” Grammar Girl. May 16, 2008

I realize that this is a clear violation of Muphry’s Law*, but so be it.

*Muphry’s Law - “If you write anything criticising editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written.”

No comments:

Post a Comment