Monday 12 June 2023

Self Defence For the Elderly


   An old friend came to visit recently. He has been a friend for a long time and he is in fact old, although not as old as I. He arrived with the help a cane or, what is known by the British as a "walking stick." Given that the cohort of the decrepit is increasing almost as rapidly as gangs of those who are younger and inclined to inflict violence, I thought it best to suggest some reading for us oldsters. Since we don't have much time, I will get right to the book.

  The title is: The "Walking Stick" Method of Self-Defence," by an "Officer of the Indian Police" (Herbert Gordon Lang). It is basically a manual for those of us who might need to bludgeon someone with our canes. There are headings in it like "Flicks" and "Flips" and "Active Stick Play." If you search for the title on AbeBooks, you will find many copies, some of which are very expensive. But, as a loyal reader of Mulcahy's Miscellany, I will provide you with a free copy. All 118 pages can be read by clicking on this link: The Walking Stick Method of Self-Defence
 
If you wish to know more about the art of stick fighting or canne de combat, see the entry for Pierre Vigny in Wikipedia. 
 
If you are shopping for such a device, there are options, but I suggest looking at this: "7 Best Tactical Self Defense Canes (Combat Canes)" by Robert Brannon in SurvivalMag, Jan. 6, 2023. The spelling of "defense" should indicate to you that this is a publication from the United States. I would suggest, however, that if you are hobbling into that country, you might find that you will need more than your stick.

Redbone at Massey Hall, 2007

The Bonus:
   
There is a good song about walking sticks. You will enjoy it and it will allow me to comply with the CRTC rules about Canadian content. The song is by Dickran Gobalian, who you may know as Leon Redbone. Listen here: "Walking Stick." Do skip the ad and wait for the lyrics: 

Without my walking stick, I'd go insane
I can't look my best I feel undressed without my cane.
Must have my walking stick 'cause it may rain
When it pours can't be outdoors without my cane....

No comments:

Post a Comment