Monday 10 May 2021

Sotheby's

 

Act Quickly

   It is still too cold to venture outside so here is some information about an auction of items related to "Travel, Atlases, Maps and Natural History." Such an event is held twice a year by Sotheby's. I am aware of it because a notice about it appeared in a newspaper I was reading online. It showed up, I imagine, because I have expressed interest in some of the subjects now under auction, not because I have the means to purchase any of the things offered. Too bad for you that my interests don't range more widely. 

   This auction ends Thursday, so have a look and act fast. You can do so from the chair in which you are sitting, because the auction is online. The image above is from a "Monograph of the Phasianidae, or Family of the Pheasants, 1870-1872," by Daniel Giraud Elliot. An estimate of its value is presented and it is, 40,000 - 60,000 GBP.  Sotheby's conveniently provides a currency converter. 40,000 GBP = 68,344 CAD. You have two days and 23 hours.



The Bonus:
   Still warmly dallying, I looked further into the Sotheby's site, which you should do, even if you are not cold and bored. There I noticed another auction: "American Visionary: The Collection of Mrs. John L. Marion." A younger version of her appears above. Recently I did a post about large landowners (Real Land Lords) and she was one of them. Let's just say that she owned more than 40 acres and a mule. In 1988, Anne married John L. Marion, Sotheby's eminent chairman. She died in 2020.

Sources:
For: "American Visionary: The Collection of Mrs. John L. Marion."
The photograph above is from: "The Trailblazing Anne Marion," by James Reginator.

No comments:

Post a Comment