Friday 3 November 2017

"ASS OVER TINCUPS"

     That expression is not the one I uttered when I slipped off the stairs on the wet deck early in the dark morning of yesterday. It would likely be the one I would use to describe the experience to you. I am using it now to make another point about blogging.
     The point is that much of what we (or perhaps just I) say quickly and naturally when speaking causes us to pause and think when we go to write it down.  Why would I use such a phrase and what does it mean? Should I write "ass over tin cups" or "ass over teacups or tea cups"?  We also notice how much we use such idioms when we attempt to describe or explain something to those who don't speak our language.
     I offer this brief aside since just a few days ago I discussed why I am blogging. Writing something rather than saying it forces one to be a little more careful even if no one is likely to read it. Often when you look up the word or phrase you learn that you were wrong and, if not, you learn something anyway.
    In this case I now know that the phrase I used is a variant of the British expressions "arse over tip (or tit)", or "arse over header" or even "head over heels." Perhaps here in Canada I should have said "tail over teakettle" and "arse" instead of "ass". I could go on: T.S. Eliot used one of the expressions in a letter. One also finds interesting sources such as Green's Dictionary of Slang or the very useful English Language & Usage Stack Exchange. Learning such things barely leaves enough time to blog.
  In any case, I am fine and almost as fit as a fiddle. Perhaps. Now I may look to find out what exactly that means.






No comments:

Post a Comment